Greensboro, NC - WFMY News 2's Food 2 Families is teaming up with Leadership Greensboro Seniors, WellSpring Retirement Community, and area grocery stores for a food drive to benefit Greensboro Urban Ministry. This emergency food drive will help restock the agency's shelves.
Last fall over 90,000 pounds of non-perishable food items were collected and distributed on an emergency basis to nearly 9,000 needy families through Greensboro Urban Ministry. Thanks to a generous community, Urban Ministry was able to fill all these food orders, but their stock of food is in great need of replenishment.
Over the weekend of April 5 & 6, hundreds of volunteers from more than 50 congregations across Greensboro will be on hand to collect nonperishable food donations at area grocery stores and other locations:
- On Friday, April 5 and Saturday, April 6, volunteers will be stationed at Bestway, Harris Teeter, and Whole Foods stores.
- On Saturday, April 6, volunteers will be stationed at Food Lion and Lowes Foods stores in the Greensboro area.
Also, look for the Greensboro Urban Ministry food collection boxes where you can leave your donations when volunteers aren't present.
When you are buying groceries you can do a lot of good by purchasing something to donate. Please select one or more canned or non-perishable food items such as:
- Tuna, Salmon, etc.
- Beef Stew, Spam, Corned beef
- Peanut Butter, 18 oz.
- Greens, e.g. Turnip, Mixed Vegetables
- Peas (green)
- Tomatoes, Corn, Green Beans
- Peaches, Pears, Fruit Cocktail, Applesauce
- Soups, Sugar, 2lbs, Dry milk, Oatmeal, 18 oz.
- Macaroni & Cheese, Bags of dry beans, Rice, 1lb. or larger bags
- Ensure or equivalent substitute