Randolph County, NC -- Parts of the Triad were cleaning up Tuesday evening after strong storms rolled through the area.
One family in Randleman said they're fortunate the damage wasn't worse, after their home was struck by lightning.
"The power didn't go out. The lights flickered. In fact, some of the computers are still working. The TV was still working. There was just smoke contained in the laundry room area," said Karen Lauder. "We're very, very fortunate."
Lauder said by the looks of it, lightning struck a light pole right outside their house. The current traveled through the line to the house, where it burned a hole and melted the siding.
The current also burst the water line. When Lauder's husband arrived home, water was spraying everywhere, which is what put out the fire.
Still, it was a frightening experience for Lauder's daughter, who was the only one home when it happened.
"She's pretty shaken. But we're real fortunate to have a large family that lives around here and good neighbors and the fire department is awesome," said Lauder.
Another family in Staley had a close call when a tree barely missed their kitchen.
Wayne Greene said he and his wife were watching TV when they heard the storm and then the tree as it fell. The only thing that stopped the 100-year-old pine tree from going right through their roof was a smaller tree.
The very top of the tree just grazed their house.
"Well, if I would have been in the kitchen or anything, that would have probably come in on me you know," said Greene. "Oh yeah, I feel lucky today."
Greene said he thinks the wind knocked down the tree, not lightning. However, lightning strikes are a lot more common than you might think.
According to a recent study by the National Fire Protection Association, U.S. fire departments respond to an estimated 24,600 fires a year started by lightning.
Fire officials said if your home is struck by lightning, and there is no fire, it's still important to call them because a fire could break out hours or even days later.
"Once the lightning hits the house, it's going to follow into the house through wiring, through the siding, whatever path it chooses. It can get into the attic, it can get into the walls, and it can smolder under that insulation for days until it gets hot enough or gets enough air to it, that it breaks into an open flame," said Captain H.W. DeLancey, Fire Investigator with the Greensboro Fire Department.
The fire department uses a thermal imaging device that can detect heat. That's how they can find whether there's a fire in the walls of your home.
DeLancey said whenever they investigate a fire, they check for any reported lightning strikes in the previous 48 hours.
WFMY News 2