If there wasn't an x-ray to show it, most of us wouldn't believe that someone swallowed a knife accidentally.
The first question upon hearing this would be....how do you accidentally swallow a knife.
Well, doctors said it's possible and it did happened (see x-ray photo). Who did that? A 30-year-old woman with a history of bulimia.
The woman was brought into the Emory Hospital emergency department after swallowing a butter knife. Doctors said she told them she inserted the knife into mouth to demonstrate that she no longer had a gag reflex. When she unexpectedly laughed, she swallowed the knife.
According to the New England Journal of Medicine, Doctors performed a rigid esophagogastroduodenoscopy to remove the knife. The woman's esophagus and stomach were not damaged. Her follow up examination showed no extravasation of contrast material from the upper gastrointestinal tract, and the patient subsequently resumed eating without complications.
New England Journal Of Medicine