Hazmat Crews clean up after freon leak
High Point, NC -- A suspected freon leak in the basement of the First United Methodist Church in the 500 block of N. Main St. had crews busy in High Point, Saturday. Police say the call came in around 12:30 PM as a fire alarm.
Crews responded and two fire captains went down to the basement to investigate. Battalion Chief Russell Doane tells WFMY News 2 that one of the captains was almost immediately overcome with fumes, becoming dizzy and nearly fainting.
Doane says the second firefighter, picked him up and brought him outside. The injured firefighter was taken to High Point Regional where he was later released. Doane says he should be back on the job, Monday.
Meanwhile, Doane says he shut the building down and called HAZMAT in. They cleared the scene by late afternoon. Doane says he suspects that there was a freon leak in the boiler system but that the incident is under investigation. He said until the investigation is complete, there is no way to tell how much of the substance leaked.
The church was empty at the time. There were no other reported injuries.
WFMY News 2