Courtesy Roderick Charles.
Kernersville, NC -- A Kernersville man hit two police cruisers while officers said he was being pursued for narcotics charges.
The chase began after 7:50 pm Monday, according to the police department. They said someone called them about Michael Lenon Smith's unsafe driving and reported that he was attempting to sell drugs from his 2003 Toyota Echo.
Officers tried to stop Smith, but he took off and led officers on a chase that ended on East Mountain Street. Police said Smith sideswiped a marked police cruiser before hitting a police K-9 vehicle head-on, ending the chase.
Smith was taken to the Forsyth County Jail and was issued the following charges:
- Felony Possession with Intent to Sell and Deliver Cocaine
- Felony Maintaining a Vehicle for Controlled Substances
- Felony Fleeing to Elude Arrest
- Felony Assault Inflicting personal Injury on a Law Enforcement Officer
- Resisting a Public Officer
- Possess Drug Paraphernalia
- Driving while License Revoked
Police said Smith and one of the officers were treated for minor injuries at Kernersville Medical Center; the K-9 was not injured.
Smith is being held under a $40,000 secured bond.