Cairo, Egypt (Courtesy: Getty Images)
WFMY News 2 reached out to our Gannett news partner, USA Today to find the five thing you need to know about Egypt and how it impacts you.
According to USA Today's White House reporter David Jackson, these are five things you need to know.
1. Egypt is the most important and influential nation in the Arab world, which remains a large source of oil for the United States -- as a result, instability will roil U.S. markets.
2. Egypt controls the Suez Canal, an important shipping route between Africa and Asia -- another concern for markets.
3. Egypt's peace treaty with Israel is a key part of U.S. diplomacy in the Middle East.
4. The U.S. is concerned that a poor economy in Egypt -- where unemployment among youth is high -- could become a breeding ground for terrorists.
5. The U.S. supplies $1.5 billion in foreign aid annually to Egypt.
WATCH: Fireworks Celebrations in Tahrir Square in Egypt