Winston-Salem, NC -- The Winston-Salem Police Department has confirmed that a house on Alma Drive exploded Saturday while one person was inside.
The first responders recieved the call just before 9am Saturday morning.
Battalion Chief Harry Brown said the victim Joe Levsen, who lives at the house was able to get out after the explosion. Levsen was taken to Baptist Hospital he said.
Neighbors said they helped Levsen get clear of the burning house until fire crews arrived.
Chief Brown said cause of the explosion was from a propane leak. He said Levsen smelled gas and turned on the exhaust to blow out the smell and that electrical spark ignited the propane.
Windows were blown out of the house across the street from Levsen, Brown said.
Brown told WFMY News 2 that homes exploding from gas leaks happen, but not all that often.