(Beirut) -- An al-Qaida-inspired Islamist group has rejected the short holiday cease-fire proposed by the international peace envoy to Syria.
The envoy, Lakhdar Brahimi, said the government in Damascus and some rebel leaders agreed to a four-day truce during the Muslim Eid al-Adha holiday, which starts Friday.
In a statement posted on militant websites Wednesday, Jabhat al-Nusra, rejected the cease-fire, calling it a "filthy game" and saying it has no faith that President Bashar Assad's regime would respect the truce.
The Syrian government says it's studying the proposal.
So far all diplomatic efforts have failed to stop Syria's violence, which activists say has killed more than 34,000 people.
Both sides have agreed to earlier cease-fires only to thwart them with more attacks.